Selfishness: The Home's Greatest Enemy
A. Greatest single enemy of a happy marriage.
1. Root of all other sins.
2. When I am at center-world out of balance
B. Easy to spot
2. "In a little while" -children
C. Natural sin
1. Baseball - pitch -go home with only ball
2. Wife suggests I am part of the problem.
C.I. It is selfishness that keeps our families from being what
God wants them to be.
I. I Am The Problem.
A. I hide my self-interest behind my "rights".
1. Man who felt cheated by his brother in the division of the
inheritance. Luke 12:13-22
a. Make my brother be fair - v.13
b. Jesus said, "You, my friend have a covetous heart." V.15
c. Parable of the farmer who was so wealthy he couldn't spend
it all, v.20. What happens when consumed by self-concern!
d. Why? "My rights"
2. Satan's first attempt at temptation. Gen.3:1-16
a. Tempted her with pride. V.5
b. She wanted to be like God so she looked at that fruit
in a different light. V.6 - 3 forms
3. Same things Satan uses against us today. 1st John 2:15-16
B. We have a mistaken notion - man's nature is inherently good.
1. Two World Wars and endless cold wars and police actions.
2. If I feel alright it must be o.k. Jer.17:9
3. Kids are basically good. Prov.22:15
C. We must stop thinking we are smarter than God.
1. We are not. 1st Cor.1:25
2. If we want our families to be what God wants we have to give
it to God.
II. I Must Die.
A. The death principle is the center of the gospel message.
1. The Lord's Supper - a memorial of Christ's death: 1st Cor.11:26
2. Baptism- a fullfillment of death principle in individuals: Romans 6:3-5.
a. I allow God to dethrone me and Christ to become the center.
b. "Newness of life", v.4, 2nd Cor.5:17;
c. Argentian -"I kill you in the name of ...
d. Juan Carlos Ortiz:
e. When Christians theology in Rome became too lenient -Romans 6:1-3
f. Romans 6:1-17 - mentions death 15 times.
g. Deposit self in Christ's account - write no more checks - Gal.6:14.
h. Picture of absolute helplessness and surrender- self-pride
3. A paradox - I must die to live.
a. To fulfill God's purpose -2nd Cor.5:14-15
b. God replaces my self interest with His Spirit - Acts 5:32
c. Victory over self.
B. I have to surrender my rights.
1. As I commit sin I become a slave of Satan. John 8:34 - no rights
a. Like flies on fly paper
b. Only an outsider - Jesus - can free me -accept His blood
c. Become His slave - Romans 6:17-18
2. There is no such thing as absolute freedom.
C. The disciples did not understand this death principle.
1. Mt.20-23 - James and John
2. V.24 - the ten became indignant
3. Jesus told them "You have to serve."
4. But we want to be served.
A. Selfishness is a destroyer.
B. You can tell where it has been - in families.
C.I. It is selfishness that keeps our families from being what God wants
them to be.
C. What do you want your family to be?
D. You must die!