FORGIVING YOUR BROTHER
Christians can and must forgive others, because God, in Christ has forgiven them.
I.FORGIVENESS IS UNLIMITED.
Jesus forgives us freely of all our sins. Lu. 17:3,4
7 is the divine number – the number of times God forgives you.
That is why we must forgive all our brothers’ offenses.
We have the promise that if we confess our sins God will forgive. 1Jn. 1:9
We must forgive all those who seek our forgiveness, also.
II.FORGIVENESS IS NECESSARY.
- To approach the Lord we must first seek peace with our brother. Mt. 5:23, 24
- If we hate our brother, we walk in darkness. 1Jn. 3:10-15
- We cannot say we love God and not forgive our brother. 1Jn. 4:20; 1Cor. 13:5,6
III. FORGIVENESS IS AN ACT OF THE WILL.
- You can forgive whether you feel like it or not.
- Before creation, God willed a door for our forgiveness.
Acts 2:23 "by the determined purpose and foreknowledge of God."
- So, we must seek to make peace with our brother whether or not we feel like it.
- FORGIVENESS IS FORGETTING.
- That is how God forgives us. He. 8:12
- When God forgives our sin is never brought up again. Ro. 8:1,2
- When we forgive, we appropriate that payment to the offender.
V.HOW CAN WE FORGIVE LIKE THIS?
- Realize we cannot do it by our own strength. Phil. 4:13
- Refuse to dwell on the offense with our mind. 2Cor. 10:15
- Never mention the offense again to anyone. Eph. 4:29
- Remove all reminders of the offense, if possible.
- Seek reconciliation with your offender. Eph. 4:1-3
If we are to be forgiven we must be forgivers.