THE SINS OF DAVID
II Samuel 11,12
Sin will always come out and cause pain.
THE DANGERS OF IMMODESTY. II Samuel 11:2
If David had not seen Bathsheeba bathing he would not have lusted.
Can I be responsible for another’s sin? Yes. 1Cor.8:13.No. Ja. 1:14-16. But I have influence on those around me.
Immodesty is a sin.
1Tim. 2:9-11 – true Christian beauty is seen in modesty and service.
- ADULTERY (SIN) BEGINS IN THE HEART. IISamuel 11:3
- David could have put her out of his mind.
No one ever has to sin. 1Cor. 10:13; Mt. 16:23
- Instead, "David sent and inquired after the woman." Why?
- Because David lusted after her in his heart. Mt. 5:28
Thought precedes action. Action based on lust is sin.
- SIN IS PROGRESSIVE. II SAMUEL 11:8
- Look at the progression
David lusted – sent for and lay with her – David tried to lie
Sin is like a cancer that constantly grows and destroys.
- To hide his sin, David tried to make Uriah sin.
Why does the world want us to follow its ways? Jn. 3:19,20
- SIN DESTROYS LOYALTY II SAMUEL 11:11-15
- Uriah, the Hittite was loyal to David and to God’s people.
He refused to go into his wife while Israel was at war.
- David lay aside his rightful loyalty to Uriah.
He ordered Uriah killed. David dragged Joab into his disloyalty.
- Are Christians required to be loyal? Mt. 10:37-38
- SIN WILL "FIND YOU OUT". IISAMUEL 12:1-7a
- Why do we think we can hide our sin? Ps. 44:21
It is never really hidden from everyone.
- David devised a plan to hide his adultery.
- His sin was publicly denounced with a parable.
- Imagine that you are in David’s place. His rage.
- Nathan, God’s prophet said, " You are the man!" v.7
- SIN BRINGS GOD’S DISPLEASURE. II SAMUEL 11:27
- Why does sin displease God?
It is breaking God’s law. 1Jn. 3:4 It hurts other people. It hurts us.
- God must punish sin. Ex. 34:7
- In this life the punishment is in the form of natural consequences.
- Sometimes the punishment causes harm to innocents.
- David and Bathsheeba’s son died.
. We can never get by with sin. As we sow, we reap.