THE BLESSEDNESS OF FORGIVENESS
Only divine forgiveness can give true joy.
THE JOY OF THE JUSSTIFIED 1,2
There are 4 evils which people commit.
- Transgression – passing over a boundary, doing what is prohibited. 2 Jn. 9
- Sin – missing of a mark, not doing Ja. 4:17
- Iniquity – what is turned out of its proper course or situation; anything morally distorted or perverted, contrary to justice.
- Guile – fraud, deceit, lying, etc.
- There are 4 ways that God forgives them.
- Transgression must be forgiven, borne away, i.e. a sacrifice.
- Sin must be covered – hidden from view. Because it is odious and abominable.
- Iniquity must not be reckoned to his account. 1Tim. 3:2a
- Guile must be annihilated from the soul. Rev. 21:8
- When these happen the result is happiness.
- It is vain to search for happiness. Mt. 6:33
- It comes with justification by faith. Ro. 4:6-8
- HOW CAN WE GAIN THIS JOY? 3-7
- Not by keeping silent. Vs.3-4
- Kept silent – he did not at first confess his sin or ask pardon.
- Bones waxed old – he was being torn apart by his conscience.
- Finally he repented and confessed. V.5
1. The Great Barrier Reef of salvation.
2. Yet it is absolutely essential. 1Jn. 1:8-10
- The result – forgiveness. Vs. 6-7
- and Thou didst forgive – selah = this is all true.
- Therefore – because God is merciful and forgiving.
- Let everyone…pray to Thee…mayest be found –
- In a flood of great waters – even when troubles come like a flood
- They shall not reach him – Mt. 7: 24,25
- Thou art my hiding place – Ps. 9:9
- with songs of deliverance – I will know I am safe. 1Jn. 5:13
- HOW CAN WE MAINTAIN THIS JOY? 8-10
- I will instruct… - the Lord’s words.
- Now that you know my mercy. Ps.119:11
- My eye – I will continually watch for your good Ro. 8:28
- Do not be as…the mule – be teachable
2. Give reasonable service. Ro. 12:1 Must be willing service.
- Why? Vs. 10 Negative – positive.
Only forgiveness can quiet the guilty conscience.